Deck the halls! Christmas is right around the corner and you’re probably in the midst of putting up tinseled wreaths, making mission-impossible gift runs, and avoiding holiday radio marathons like the plague. In making our homes warm and inviting this coming week it’s very common for many people to decorate using traditional plants like Poinsettias. While beautiful, the following plants and trees can be an accident waiting to happen for your dog.

Christmas Trees
Dog daycare San Antonio

Let’s start with one of the most iconic of symbols – the Christmas tree. They come in all shapes and sizes and just the scent of one can take us back to Christmases long past. However, Christmas trees are known to be mildly toxic to dogs. They contain many oils that are irritating to the digestive tracts of canines. If injested, these oils can cause nausea and vomiting. Additionally, the needles are tough and hard to digest, meaning they can become lodged in the stomach, leading to punctures and gastrointestinal irritation.

Holly
Dog daycare San Antonio

Also known as Winterberry, the Holly’s sharp, pointy leaves may enough to quell your dogs’ curiosity. However, Holly’s defining feature are its bright red cluster of berries that look ripe for the picking. Holly can be quite poisonous depending on the amount ingested and has various symptoms including: vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.

Mistletoe
Dog daycare San Antonio

Ah, the age-old mistletoe and the never ending quest to get a holiday kiss beneath it. The good thing about mistletoe is that it’s usually kept hanging above doorways and entrances – well out of reach of most dogs. Make certain it’s attached securely, because if it falls to the floor you can be sure your pooch will investigate. Call your emergency animal clinic immediately if you suspect your dog may have ingested this plant and exhibits signs of vomiting, erratic behavior, or labored breathing.

Poinsettia
Dog daycare San Antonio

Another Christmas icon, Poinsettias are the crimson royalty among holiday plants. While most claims of their being “extremely poisonous” are merely urban legend, it’s true that Poinsettias do possess some mild irritants in their sap. Make sure you prune prune damaged leaves and sweep up any debris that tends to fall as the month wears on. Symptoms of Poinsettia ingestion are typically nausea and in rare cases, vomiting.

Pawderosa wants to see your Pup healthy and happy!

Keeping your loyal companion at home this Christmas? Pawderosa Ranch wishes you a safe and happy holiday season for you and your pets. We want to see them running around at the ranch in 2015! Interested in booking a stay early for next year? Call us today to claim your kennel.

:Sources:

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Christmas_and_Your_Dog

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/allergies-during-the-holidays?page=2

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/christmastrees.htm

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/american-holly

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/mistletoe-american

Recent Posts