Pawderosa Ranch Facebook
 In Nutrition

It is very hard to resist your dog’s “puppy eyes” when they’re begging for more food, especially when it occurs on a daily basis. Because dogs can’t digest and breakdown everything that our stomaches can, there are some foods that are okay and some not. Dogs don’t exactly have an “off” button when it comes to sniffing out food, so be very careful! Leaving these five foods around the house or feeding them to your dog can cause a lot more than a spoiled appetite.

1. Chocolate

[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]Ah, the sweet deliciousness of chocolate is the most common known food that dogs can’t eat. The toxicity is dependent on the amount your pup consumes, but symptoms can vary from vomiting, seizures, and diarrhea. The darker the chocolate, the more serious the poisoning, so avoid cocoa powder and baker’s chocolate at all costs.[/highlight]

2. Xylitol

[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that can be found in sugarless goods. It’s already known that artificial sweeteners are not as healthy for people as using real sugar, but it can cause liver damage and a lethal drop in blood sugar in dogs. A drop in blood sugar can happen as soon as 10 minutes of ingestion. Symptoms also include vomiting and lack of coordination. A piece of sugar-free gum would be considered a toxic dose to a 10-pound dog, so beware of xylitol![/highlight]

3. Grapes

[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]Keep grapes and raisins away from your pup. Both can cause kidney failure in dogs, on top of vomiting, thirst, increased urination, and potential signs of poisoning. Keep them out of reach, and be sure everyone in your household knows that as well.[/highlight]

4. Onions and Garlic

[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]If consumed in great amounts, onions and garlic can cause damage of red blood cells and lead to anemia in dogs. The level of poisoning is dependent on the amount ingested, but lethargy and a spoiled appetite can be symptoms of a poisonous reaction. The sooner you believe your doggie is at risk for poisoning, the better. Take your dog to a veterinarian without hesitation.[/highlight]

5. Alcohol

[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]Besides the typical beer, wine and liquor, alcohol can be found in desserts and can be created in your dog’s stomach upon ingestion of homemade or store bought yeast dough that’s used in breads, rolls, and pizzas. The smallest amount of alcohol, whether ingested or created, can be life threatening. Make sure to call your vet before you notice any lethal symptoms, like seizures. Any strange behavior should be a reason to call your veterinarian.[/highlight]
[highlight align=”left, right, center” style=”default, different”]A trick to prevent your pup from consuming anything dangerous would be to teach your doggie how to “drop” things on command and to teach those within your household to not leave anything remotely lethal for your dogs to get into. Be mindful and love your pup and his tummy![/highlight]

Read More:

To stay up-to-date and get the latest from the Doggie Expert, check out to the Pawderosa Blog!

Recent Posts
dog daycare san antonio, dog boarding san antoniodog daycare san antonio, dog boarding san antonio